If I told you drinking red wine aids in weight loss would you believe me? It’s the first nugget on my list of fabulous red wine benefits! This was happy news for me, among other benefits of my favorite beverage. Of course, all things should be done in moderation when it comes to good health. One glass of red wine per day keeps the doctor away. More than that can cause health problems (not to mention social blunders and errors in decision making).
I’m not getting any younger, so it made me happy to hear that red wine can slow the aging process. I’m enjoying a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon by Chateau Ste. Michelle as I write this!
9 Red Wine Benefits
- Resveratrol, which is found in red wine, can protect against obesity and diabetes (I just might have to replace my daily chocolate fix with a red wine fix).
- Antioxidants in red wine increase HDL (good cholesterol) and protect against artery damage.
- Antioxidants also absorb free radicals that assist in aging and age-related diseases. You’ll enjoy healthier looking skin while reducing fine lines and wrinkles (say goodbye to high priced wrinkle cream!).
- Red wine contains quercetin and resveratrol, both of which can lower your risk of breast and lung cancer.
- The resveratrol in red wine can reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s (good to hear, as both my grandmother and mother suffered from Alzheimer’s).
- Drinking red wine can result in better sleep quality due to the melatonin in red wine, aiding in a peaceful sleep.
- Red wine prevents tooth decay. Red wine hardens enamel and the polyphenols found in red wine can reduce gum inflammation and prevent gum disease.
- According to a report in American Journal of Epidemiology, people who drink red wine have 44% fewer colds than those who don’t imbibe (I haven’t had a cold in about 2 years … knock on wood!).
- Finally, alcohol reduces formation of blood clots.
Raise a glass to your health!
No need to feel guilty about savoring a single glass of red wine at night.
** This post contains affiliate links. **